Friday, July 20, 2012

Pinterest Project #4 - Refinishing Kitchen Table

Before we moved we had a list of new things we wanted once we got moved in. We knew we couldn't get everything at once so we put everything in order of importance. A new kitchen table was on the list. The table we have now was given to us by my parents when they got a new one and was the one they had when I still lived at home. It's a good table but needless to say it's getting up there in age.

Once we got in the house the list of things we wanted started growing and the kitchen table started getting bumped lower on the list.

I saw this pin on pinterest where this girl re-finished her old table and I loved the look of it. I showed it to Justin and he said, "oh we can totally do that." (not sure he said "totally" but you know what I mean).

Have we ever re-finished furniture? NO! Did we know anything about it? NO! But thanks to Pinterest and Google we think we are professionals at everything.

Supplies:
Sander - $0 (we had one)
stain ( we used espresso satin)- $10.00
White paint - $0 we already had some
polyurethane - $10
sand paper (80 grit and 220 grit)- $6.00
Total cost: $26

This was my first pinterest project to do with Justin. Although we work very well together he didn't understand that I needed to document every step and he would just take off without letting me get pictures, so I was unable to get a before picture.

First thing was to take the table apart:

Then Justin sanded the top while I painted the legs. He used the 80 grit sand paper first then smoothed it with the 220 grit paper. On the legs we just used pure white wall paint. I didn't put anything on it first and it only took two coats.
 While we painted I got a box and kids paint for the kids to paint with us.

After the top was sanded it was time to stain it. It took just two coats.


After the stain dried we put two coats of polyurethane. This is to protect it from food and spills.


And the finished product:



We haven't done anything with the chairs yet. The pin I followed stained the seat part then painted the rest white so that is probably what we will do. I was very happy with how it turned out. This will buy us at least a couple more years with this table.

No comments:

Post a Comment